Dr. Brittany Gilmer
Undergraduate Program Director
- PhD University of Toronto, Geography
- MS University of Wisconsin-Madison, Urban and Regional Planning
- BA University of Wisconsin-Madison, Political Science
- Maritime crime and transnational crime
- Criminal justice reform in sub-Saharan Africa
- Political geographies of crime and justice
- Criminologies of the Global South
- Qualitative methods, ethnography
Gilmer, Brittany and Britanee Kane. (2019) Counter Piracy Programming and Potential Barriers to Reintegrating Pirates: An African Restorative Justice Critique. International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice.
Gilmer, Brittany and Caroline Comerford. (2018) Promoting pirate prisons: exploring the intersections of narratives, media, and criminal justice reform in East Africa. Crime, Law and Social Change.
Gilmer, Brittany. (2017) Invisible Pirates: Women and the Gendered Roles of Somali Piracy. Feminist Criminology.
Gilmer, Brittany. (2017) Somali Piracy Prisoners and Biopolitical Penal Aid in East Africa. Punishment & Society. 19(1): 115-131.
Gilmer, Brittany. (2016) Fishermen, Pirates, and the Politics of Aid: An Analysis of the Somali Fishermen Registration Programme. Geoforum. 77: 106-113.