Distance Learning Program
DL CCJ Advisor:
Distance learning (DL) students are required to meet with their advisors each semester to select courses and to get their PINs cleared for registration. DL students are NOT required to meet in person; DL students will meet with their advisor via telephone, email, or Zoom.
Advising Note: Advising is a two-way process. Before your advising appointment, all DL students are expected to conduct your own research to decide what courses you would like to take. DL students who have attended other universities may have had a different advising experience and we hope to easily transition you to this new advising model.
For dates and times of registration, visit the UA Registrar’s website.
Please make sure to register on your designated date/time. Classes fill up fast and are limited.
Reminder: DL students will always need to register for “OL” sections in the course catalog. These are designed for DL students. If a student registers for any other course designation they will be removed from the course. Taking main campus courses could result in additional charges made to the student’s account.
Distance Learning or Main Campus Changes
Any student considering switching to Distance from Main campus (or vice versa) should contact their advisor before making the switch.
**When changing programs from Main campus to Distance Learning, students will lose the courses they were previously registered for as a Main campus student. Students will need to be re-advised by the DL advisor and re-register for DL-designated courses.
Additional Important Information
Please be aware of the following:
- The College General Education requirements include two writing courses (with a W designation). We will only be offering one in CCJ, but you can take the second W course in other departments or in your minor.
- The College requires 12 upper level courses (36 hours). Six of those courses (18 hours) will come from the CCJ major. DL students should prioritize taking upper level classes in their minor to complete the remaining 18 hours.
Finding courses that are specific to DL students can be difficult; the full UA catalog is not offered online. The following directions will help students identify offerings each term for DL students.
To look up classes:
- Select Term
- Click “Advanced Search”
- Select all categories in subject (or the department you are looking for specifically)
- Select “DL/Gadsden” for Campus
- Select Attribute Type if you want to look specifically for humanities/lit/writing/etc.
- Click Section Search
DL Course Offerings in the CCJ Department
Upcoming CCJ Courses (subject to change based on department needs and availability):
Every Fall = CJ 100, CJ 381, one elective (400-level)
Every Spring = CJ 280, CJ 300, two electives
Every Summer = CJ 100, three electives (one 400-level)
|CJ 100||CJ 280||CJ 100|
|CJ 381||CJ 300||CJ 304|
|CJ 250 (E1)||CJ 424 (E2)||CJ 430|
|CJ 483 (E3)||CJ 220 (E4)||Elective|
|CJ 422 (E5)||CJ 270 (E6)||Elective|
|CJ 240 (E7)||CJ 230 (E8)|