- Ph.D., Criminology, Florida State University, 1986
- M.S., Criminal Justice, The University of Alabama, 1983
- B.S., Criminal Justice, Alabama State University, 1981
- Women parolees
- Domestic violence
- Qualitative analysis of women who kill
- Johnson, I.M. & R.T. Sigler. 1997. Forced Sexual Intercourse in Intimate Relationships. Aldershot, Hampshire: Darmouth Publishing Company. Named as a Choice’sOutstanding Academic Book for 1997.
- Johnson, I.M. 2014. “Women Parolees’ Perceptions of Parole Experiences and Parole Officers.” American Journal of Criminal Justice. DOI: 10.1007/s/2103-014-9824-0.
- Johnson, I. M. 2014. “Economic Impediments to Women’s Success on Parole: We Need Someone on Our Side” The Prison Journal. 94(3): 365-387.
- Lichtenstein, B. & Johnson, I. M. 2009. “Older African American Women and Barriers to Reporting Domestic Violence to Law Enforcement in the Rural Deep South.” Women and Criminal Justice. 19(4): 286-305.
- Johnson, I. M., & E. Morgan. 2009. “Victims’ Impact Statements: Fairness to the Defendants.” In L. Morarity (Ed.), Controversies in Victimology.Newark, NJ: Matthew Bender & Company.